

Here's my Fourth of July Family!
Pete got to be in the Fourth of July Parade down Main Street with his peewee ballroom team. The older kids were in it, too. Andrea was upset because she wanted to be in a parade also. We were having trouble getting to the parade in time, so we didn't sit at the first corner like we do every year. Instead we were a few blocks down, and when Pete got to us, they had just performed at the beginning of the block, then basically ran by us to the other corner of the block and started their routine again...that was very sad for me. However, my in-laws got there and sat in the usual place, so at least they got to see him do his thing. Here's the only picture we got of him as he is running by. He's the boy farthest to the right, in the front of the line.

We had Tom's parents over for dinner for steak (tube steak for the kids) and other yummies. I made a poke cake (for those of you who haven't ever had it, you make a yellow or white cake, let it cool for an hour, make gelatin--reducing the water by 1/2 cup--, poke your cake all over with a fork, then pour the gelatin all over the cake, chill for 2 hours and then you have poke cake! Top with whipped cream and/or fruit that goes with your flavor gelatin, or nothing at all!) and decorated it so that we had a "flag cake".
Oh man, I love cold poke cake. I used cherry gelatin, though it was topped with strawberries Very tasty. 
Oh man, I love cold poke cake. I used cherry gelatin, though it was topped with strawberries Very tasty. 
Aside from the fun stuff of the day, I really am grateful to a loving Heavenly Father that we have this country to live in, despite its many problems. I hope we can pull together as a nation by doing what we can to make this country great on an individual level and give thanks for what good we have.

6 comments:
GASP! i've made that cake before!!! It was SO good huh!
That cake sounds so yummy. Can you video Pete doing his routine and post it on your blog please? I wanna see!
Cute pictures. I love the cake idea. It looks so good. I am going to try that asap. Glad you are all well.
What a cute family! I never thought I would miss seeing the Rexburg parade...it just didn't feel like the 4th without it!
I am making 2 of your "poke cakes": one for a funeral and one for the 4 missionaries in our ward. This is my first attempt. Hope it works- it looks so good; cool and refreshing!
The "poke cake" was a MAJOR hit by the way! That will be one that we have more than once. The boys would like to have it every day, but then I would eat WAY too much of it. It will be fun to experiment with different flavored jello too. Thanks Char! Hope life is treating you well!
I'm glad you like the cake! It's definitely one of my favorites. I want to try lemon cake and lemon jello or orange jello. We shall see!
Post a Comment