Oh, man. Sometimes I wonder about myself. A few months ago the music chairwoman at church asked me to sing in church in April. I could've sworn that she asked me to sing "God so Loved the World". Early last month, I told her that I couldn't find the solo version of that song, and she said, "No, I wanted you to sing (whatever song it was)." For those reading, it is now obvious that I still can't remember what song it was that I was supposed to sing in the first place, but we digress. Anyway, so I said okay, and then it left my mind completely until....
We have 8:30am church. We were running late this morning, so we had to sit in the foyer as a missionary had just come home from his mission and the seats were all full. Thus, after the Sacrament was passed, we were still out there and I hadn't seen the program for the day. A man from the ward happened to be getting a folding chair for someone, saw me standing just outside the overflow door and stuck his head out and said, "I'm looking forward to hearing you sing today!" I said, "You mean with the choir?" "No," said he, "Your name is on the program." You may imagine the look on my face and the feeling in my chest. Having seen said look on my face (I'm not really even sure what it looked like), he said, "Wait, maybe I'm wrong!" However, my next door neighbor who is my age was wide eyed and nodding in agreement that this was the correct day and I was in trouble. So, he went to grab a program and, sure enough, there was my name in print, after the first two youth speakers. The first one had already gotten about half-way through his 5-10 minute talk. As a friend of mine, Heidi, was sitting in the back row of the overflow area and near the door, she saw and heard everything. Her mother is the choir director and extremely accomplished at the piano. I mouthed to her, "Is your mom here?" She also looked at me wide-eyed and said, "No..." I think I mouthed the words, "Oh, crap," or something like that. I know it was a bad choice for being in church, but I was feeling a bit panicked. Then, I felt that hot feeling...when I get really upset or highly emotional very suddenly, my face starts to get hot and very red. The frustrating thing is, that I can't seem to put it under control until my face has reached a certain level of hot and red. Heidi told me that Lisa, who is the pianist for the choir and also very accomplished, was there. So, I went to where she normally sits with her family, and told her I needed her help, now. She got up to come out to the foyer, where I commenced to try (in vain) to fan my face, hoping it would cool quickly. The afore mentioned neighbor was watching me do this, and was trying not to laugh to my face. I told Lisa that I was supposed to sing, which she already knew, having been on time and seen the program, but that I couldn't remember what song and had nothing prepared. I hadn't even sung a thing yet that morning--I didn't warm up in the shower, I wasn't on time to sing the first two songs at church or anything. We only had time to locate a hymn book and choose a missionary-type song. So, we talked over number 270, "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go". About then, the second youth speaker was finishing up her talk, and in we went. As she played the introduction, I prayed in my heart and mind for help from the Lord, and He, in his mercy, came through. Thomas received many compliments on my behalf. It must have worked out well enough this time, but I hope never to do that again. I am so grateful for Brother McC., Lisa and her talent, and for music memory...that is, if I can just remember to look at the music in the first place. I hope to blame this on "pregnancy brain", but I will restate the above: Sometimes I wonder about myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Dude- something is up today! One of our speakers never got confirmation of a topc and date of speaking. He did great. I am sure you did too super singer!
that is so funny! and don't worry im laughing with you not at you. that is, if you are lauging at all...... i love you prego.
I kept waiting for you to say, "and then I woke up." I have had that nightmare before. I can't believe you lived it! But then I think, what would it be like to have her talent and be able to get up--hot faced or not--and deliver such beauty...remember, I've heard you sing at 6am--I know you're good at any hour. Welcome to the blogosphere! It looks like we're due at the same time--crazy. (Only you're an old pro and I am still quite new at this :) I can't believe you have a six year old...sheesh! I'd call you old, but we're just not, ya know? Anyway, welcome, and yay for you and your cute family.
Charlotte- I had a similar thing happen yesterday too... I was supposed to sing and realized it on the way to church, once I got to church (we were late)... the first thing I did when I sat down was borrow someone's program to make sure I wasn't on it... Luckily since he hadn't confirmed with me totally (we'll he kinda did but... oops) We'll do it next week... You are the best... that was the best story I have read ina while!!!
Post a Comment